Libraries can use Twitter for a variety of purposes:
- Libraries can use it to listen to what their users are thinking about the library.
- Libraries can use Twitter to make connections to people and organizations within their community.
- Libraries use Twitter to promote their programs and services.
- Build conversations with patrons and users.
- Gives patrons a way of asking questions about specific materials.
- Send alerts about requesting materials
- Update patrons on new tools and applications that are being used in the library.
- Use Twitter to point out highlights on the library website.eg. opening hours
Twitter gives libraries an opportunity to engage readers and share information quickly not just with patrons but also people outside the library who are interested in a variety topics.